Saturday, March 19, 2011

Remembering Ormond When It Was a Sleepy little Beach Village

Ormond Was a Sleepy Little Beach Village when I grew up there in the 50s and 60s living with my mother, sister, and grandmother.  Grandmother had craftsman bungalow with large airy porches overlooking the Halifax and from there it was only 15 minutes by bike over the bridge to the beach.  Or a child could grab a bamboo pole from the patch and dangle over the embankment and maybe catch dinner.  Exploring the ancient groves beckoned one's imagination and to climb large oaks was a childhood delight.  There was an easiiness in the layback approach to life and so the first grade teacher allowed my dog to follow me into the first grade classroom. "We made our own fun in those days" to quote one of my closest friends of those childhood days - Susan Cobb.

looking south down Beach Street from my Grandmother's front yard


My Grandmother's Home 104 South Beach Street
North East Corner of Beach Street and Live Oak Avenue



Looking East Down Live Oak Avenue Towards the Halifax


A Day Gathering Coquinas and Exploring Tidepools


By the Ormond Approach at high tide


Building Fortress of Sand


Outfitted for a Swim


Mable Holmes, Marian Baker, Edna Owsley Hill Adams

Tomoka State Park. Sculpture was by Fred Marsh close friend and neighbor of  Grandmother's. 
The two children standing in front are me (on left) and my sister on the right.







No comments:

Post a Comment